Thursday 2 December 2010

Double Page Spread

This is the finished version of my double page spread.

I kept the colours on the background of this page fairly similar to the colour used on the contents page, though I did choose to use two colours which weren't connected with a straight line to give the page a bit of a quirky atmosphere, and once again the main colours are black, red and pink. The font is the same as used previously, to keep up with the house style I am using for my entire project: the only difference on this page is the choice of font for the 'Giants' band name, but this is consistent with the front cover, other than the golden outer and inner glow I decided to give the word. Like the article about Lily Allen in NME which I analysed, I chose to make my image dominant and on the left side of the double page. I also chose to use a direct quotation in the same font as the band name, to make it stand out from the rest of the text; the desired effect of this was to capture the attention of a reader if they were browsing through the magazine. A simple, but crucial, key point with this page is the positioning in the magazine itself; I decided I wanted my double page spread to be in the center pages of the magazine, because they are quickly accessed and often are the first thing people skip to when deciding whether or not to buy.
A conventional feature of this page is the use of the page numbers in the bottom corners (which would correspond to pages mentioned in the contents) and the use of my magazine name, 'mystic', at the top - this would remind readers of the magazine, subtly. Also, when my magazine name is mentioned, I chose to continue to use the exact same design as is used on the front cover, so that readers will associate this with my magazine subconciously.
With the image of the girl on this page, I chose to have her looking downward towards her hands - this connotes the power she holds as a songwriter and vocalist, and is symbolic that (because she looks like an ordinary girl) anyone has the power in their own hands to change their lives - like she did. The adjustments I made to this picture were minor and not very noticable, so as to keep up the 'ordinary girl' appearence; I used the dodge tool to make her hands appear brighter - the symbolic 'power' - and removed any blemishes from her face and arms. I also used the burn tool very slightly, to give her a little bit more of a natural-looking tan (this also helped to make her hands stand out).
The text I used in this piece was rather informal, but asked direct questions relating to the band and music - this gives the interview a bit of a personal note, almost like we are having a regular conversation with the artist, but also shows the professional side of this magazine by not going entirely off-topic.
Lastly, at the top of the left hand side there is a brief summary of what and who the article is about, to allow the reader to judge whether they are interested or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment