Friday 4 March 2011

For the promotional documentary newspaper advertisement I decided to look at existing work related to teenage pregnancy; whilst most of the content appeared to hold negative views toward the topic, I found the use of imagery to be mostly inspiring. As my documentary intends to be neutural in its take on teenage pregnancy I have decided to combine aspects from the negative and positive sides when designing my ad.

Below I have listed the images I found most inspiring:

I like the way that colour is used in this poster as the image and background are plain and neutural, whilst the text is blue and bold so that it stands out on the page. The image used is effective as it portrays and average-looking teenage girl on a mobile phone, but we can tell from her facial expression and pose that she is worried; her eyes are downcast and she is slumped forwards.
This picture certainly has a negative opinion on teenage pregnancy as the word "statistic" is boldened and large on the page, which suggests that teenage mothers are becoming nothing more than a number. The use of the colour pink - which represents women and femininity - on this page draws the audience's attention to facts and figures.
I like the idea of dividing the page up into two halves with a picture taking up a whole side.

This next image, though plain, is one of my favourites. I like the way that the text is simple and straightforward, almost like words would be read coldly or sternly. I also like the idea of not showing face of the subject: this implies that the young woman could be anyone.
The idea of not using real images, but a drawing instead is interesting as it gives the poster a childish vibe - the image strikes me as something a teen might draw.
Vivid colours are used on the page to draw our attention to the stores and people enjoying life, whilst the teenage mother takes up a small amount of space and is coloured quite blandly; this suggests that the lives of teenage mothers are no longer exciting or thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment